Kenneth City began as 340 acres of pasture land with 58th St. North serving as a foot path to 38th Ave. North. Kenneth City was founded in 1957 by Sidney Colen, a local developer, who named the city after his son Kenneth Colen. This small town (.7 square miles) is located between St. Petersburg and Pinellas Park, and consists of dense residential developments. It was incorporated April 30, 1957 as a tax-free community of single family homes.
Many of the town’s identifying features were built in the late 1950s into the 1960s. For example, Dixie M. Hollins High School opened its doors in September 1959. Winn Dixie opened in December that same year. The concept for the Clearview Oaks condominiums was also conceived in 1959 before anyone had ever heard of such a thing.
In recent years, some of the aging infrastructure has been addressed, but a look around town shows the age of many of the buildings, both commercial and residential. The major commercial corridors are showing their age, especially on 54th Avenue North..
Kenneth City best is working cooperatively with both residents and merchants to have a vision of revitalization for the community. It’s their desire to GROW Kenneth City—not bigger, but better!